Is hybrid working model good for your business?
Hybrid working model has never been so popular. It can be assumed that the crisis caused by the pandemic has irretrievably changed the approach to permanent office work. Is a hybrid system of work good? How is it different from remote work?
Even before the pandemic changes, the most frequently used work model was 8 hours in the office. Currently, this Hybrid working model is growing in popularity and can replace the traditional model in many companies. What are the challenges facing employers with mixed employers? What exactly is this model of work about and can it be compared to hybrid learning in schools?
Hybrid working model – what does it mean?
The definition of Hybrid working model is difficult to define. In this case, the biggest obstacle is the lack of legal regulations and the growing popularity of the phenomenon. The hybrid system of work is defined in many ways, and it seems that neither definition can be considered wrong. It seems that each company has its own answer to the question of what hybrid work is. The most common types of this model are:
- division into office and remote employees – some people in the company always perform their duties from the office, others work remotely (if their work allows it)
- adjusting work depending on the situation – this model is characterized by high fluency in outsourcing tasks. Some employees cannot perform remote work, so they work from the office. Other employees work remotely, but depending on the situation, they may be called to the company. In short, remote work when possible, however, when necessary, employees appear in the office;
- rotation of employees who exchange remote work – this is a popular model in small offices and during a pandemic. Employees are divided into groups that work remotely and stationary interchangeably
Many companies are already adapting their methods of operation to one of the first two variants. It seems that the job market of the future is about flexibility. In this context, Hybrid working model can be defined as a set of employees performing their duties under the best conditions for them. So regardless of whether it is an office or your own apartment.
Advantages of working in a hybrid system
There is more and more talk about the superiority of Hybrid working model over the traditional model of performing duties. Hybrid working model in the office can be not only a great employee benefit, but also a significant saving for the employee. The main advantage of Hybrid working model is the choice. The candidate for an employee can specify whether he prefers to perform his duties from home or would like to be in the office more often.
In this case, of course, a lot depends on the specifics of the profession. Some positions are designed for remote work, while others will require at least occasional reporting to the office. Working in a hybrid system is a kind of compromise. The employer determines whether such duties can be performed remotely, and the employee chooses the most attractive model of work. What other advantages does Hybrid working model have?
Hybrid system of work and savings for the company
It is impossible to ignore savings for the entire enterprise. Renting office space consumes huge resources, and the development of the company may involve the need to rent an even larger office. The hybrid system of work can be arranged in such a way that some employees do not take up unnecessary space in the office and appear in it only when the need arises. Thanks to this, the employer can rent a smaller premises while improving his employer branding.
This is especially relevant to those who work on Hot-Desk Basis or hiring their offices in a co-working enviroments, as this will allow you to control how many desks you use and therefore control the cost of your contract.
Hybrid working model in the office – what can an employee gain?
Another advantage of Hybrid working model is saving the employee time and money. Depending on the location, we can spend up to several hours a day commuting. Lack of commuting means not only free time savings but also additional tens/hundreds of £ a month, which remains in the employee’s pocket. Time-saving in hybrid work translates into one more important detail. What?
The hybrid mode of work means that we spend more time on rest, passions, sports activities or meetings with friends. An employee who comes to the office only when the need arises can be more rested (and therefore productive).
Does the hybrid system of work have disadvantages?
Of course, working in a hybrid system has its drawbacks. It can be assumed that a person performing hybrid duties will have a difficult task in terms of creating new friends. People working in the office stay with each other on a daily basis, which gives them greater chances of integration.
Hybrid working model – how to implement it?
Proper implementation of hybrid work creates many challenges. The biggest of them is the re-planning of the company’s operations. The company must remodel the work of teams, implement appropriate sources of remote communication and consider how to check the quality of work done at home. What good practices in hybrid work are worth applying?
- Multiple Communication Channels – Employees should be able to communicate with each other in many ways. Hybrid work requires frequent virtual meetings, voice communication, remote presentations and efficient text communication.
- Hybrid work and integration – we cannot forget about the integration of employees who perform hybrid work. Employed persons should be able to talk to each other and meet from time to time in an informal environment.
- Possibility of choice – the hybrid work model should be based on an employee’s flexible approach to work. It is not worth making a strict division into office and remote workers. The employer or supervisor should listen to the needs of the subordinate and jointly decide on the best employment model.
- Joint activities – hybrid work can connect people. The employer can activate his employees by organizing, for example, sports competitions with the use of popular smartphone applications.
It is worth remembering that working in a hybrid system does not have to be a problem. Hybrid employees can hold regular meetings in the office, appear at integrations and greet new employees together. This work model requires flexibility, but when well implemented, it can be the strength of the employer.
Is a Hybrid working model system for everyone?
We already know what hybrid work is all about. Should every company introduce it? Absolutely not! Some industries are not made for such experiments. It is difficult to imagine a well-functioning production plant, car repair shop, food service or customer service office with no employees. Despite the prevailing trend, it is worth remembering that not all companies are designed to implement a hybrid work model.
Remote versus hybrid work – which is better?
Determining exactly whether remote or hybrid work is better is a very difficult task. Each of these forms of employment has its advantages and disadvantages. The only significant difference is the limitation of remote work to performing duties only from home. Hybrid work combines the advantages of home office and office work. Employees can enjoy the freedom of working from home, but whenever needed, they will appear in the office and integrate with the rest of the team.